The fourth European Pragmatism Conference
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the fourth European Pragmatism Conference has been postponed to 3-5 August 2022 with a pre-conference event on 2 August 2022. We look forward to seeing you in London and hope it will be safer to travel, see each other, and share our research in person again.
The third European Pragmatism Conference
The third European pragmatism conference was organized in Helsinki, Finland, in June 2018. Please see the conference webpage for more information.
The second European Pragmatism Conference
The second European pragmatism conference was organized in Paris, France, in 9-11 September 2015. The host organizer of the conference was the French association Pragmata, and the co-organizers included the Associazione Pragma, the Nordic Pragmatism Network and the Central European Pragmatist Forum.
SAAP invited panel
The EPA organized an invited panel at the annual meeting ot the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy in Grand Rapids, 5-7 March 2015.
- Mathias Girel, École Normale Supérieure de Paris, France, “W. K. Clifford, Dispositions and Practical Bearings”
- Stéphane Madelrieux, University of Lyon 3, France, “Can We Secularize the Will to Believe?”
- Sami Pihlström, University of Helsinki, Finland, “Religious, Moral, and Metaphysical Beliefs: a Jamesian Perspective”
- Roberto Gronda, Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, “From Belief to Experience: Dewey’s Anti-Subjectivistic Philosophy of Meaning”
SAAP invited panel
The EPA arranged an invited panel at the annual meeting of the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy in Denver, Colorado, March 2014. Speakers:
- Henrik Rydenfelt (University of Helsinki): Introduction: Pragmatism and Europe
- Gabriele Gava (Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main): Intuitions, Indices, and Immediate Perception: Reflections on Peirce and Kant
- Mats Bergman (University of Helsinki): Anthropomorphism and Pragmaticism: Neglected Affinities between C. S. Peirce and F. C. S. Schiller
- Mathias Girel (Ecole normale supérieure, Paris): ‘Who does not read Bergson today?’ Intelligent Action in Perspective in Dewey’s Reading of Bergson
The first European Pragmatism Conference
The first European pragmatism conference was organized in Rome, Italy, 19-21 September 2012 by the Italian Associazione Pragma and the Nordic Pragmatism Network. The conference brought together the different European groups and networks working in philosophical pragmatism, and witnessed the launch of the EPA.